The economic, health and sanitation situation of two hundred and fifty families who have persons with disabilities identified in Ipalogama, Talawa and Eppawala divisional secretariat divisions in Anuradhapura district will be enhanced by 30% (from the present level) by the end of three years.
- Have built the capacity of the staff members of the project
- Increased the awareness of government officers on rights of persons with disabilities
- Have organized people with disabilities at divisional level as a pressure group
- Have provided knowledge and skills for people with disabilities on identifying enterprises and developing entrepreneurship
- Sixty families of persons with disabilities involved with income generating activities and have contributed to the development process
- Have changed the attitudes of people with disabilities and their family members
- Have monitored the past year project and ensure it’s sustainability
Activities and Results so far...
Awareness programme on the project objectives for government officers of Galgamuwa divisional secretariat division
• Attitudes of the government officials and politicians toward the NGOs in Sri Lanka could be changed and corporation could be built up to make successful the project.
• Support of the government officials and politicians were given to gather the persons with disabilities into village level groups
• Government officers were agreed to give their recommendation and to monitor when providing income generation loans.
Creating awareness on project, human rights, fundamental rights and equal opportunities for people with disabilities and their parents /guardians
• Created the awareness and changed the attitudes on human rights & rights of people with disabilities among the participants of the programme
• 3 participants have received the consultation support from the human rights commission as a result of the programme.
Developing leadership skills of associations leaders
• Participants acquired and strengthened leadership skills
• Negative attitudes on holding leadership were minimized among the participants
• Knowledge on organizational documents and records were increased
• Action plan was developed by the participants for their association
Training on basic business, financial investment and enterprises development
• Knowledge on basic business, financial investment and enterprises development were enhanced among the participants
• Member families were followed up and given the guidance.
• New member families has started their income generation activities in the second phase of loan
• Issues on book keeping and accounting of the divisional associations were identified and solutions were provided
• Problems and issues faced by members were discussed
• Annual work plan was developed for each divisional associations
• Experience sharing activity was implemented with the participation of executive committee members of 09 divisional associations and they could identify their potentials